Music means the world to me. It grounds me, gives me something to hold onto, offers new perspectives and reminders I need, gives me a hug when no one else is around, and takes me home no matter how far I feel.
So for my birthday last year, I published a playlist that encapsulated the music that had meant the most to me over the course of that year. Not only was it fun (and a nice break from regular adulting), but it gave me a new way to reflect and process, as well as something that I really enjoyed going back to. Based on all of that, I decided to make it a bit of a tradition.
Same rules as before: a playlist of the songs that have meant the most to me over the last year, one song for every year I’ve been around, and they’re in listening order — not order of significance. And, of course, I’ve included a link to the playlist on Spotify if you feel like giving it a listen!
- Hard Times – Paramore
- Dark Blue – Jack’s Mannequin
- Dear World – Echosmith
- Dirty and Left Out – The Almost
- Send Me Home – Asking Alexandria
- Buried Beneath – Red
- Hunger – Florence + The Machine
- Man of Stone – Matthew Thiessen & The Earthquakes
- Avalanche – Bring Me The Horizon
- Zombie – Bad Wolves
- Letters to God, Pt II – Angels & Airwaves
- Heavydirtysoul – Twenty One Pilots
- LA Devotee – Panic! At The Disco
- Last Hope – Paramore
- Vice Verses – Switchfoot
- Start A Riot – BANNERS
- Better Days – The Goo Goo Dolls
- Hallelujah – Rufus Wainwright
- Vindicated – Dashboard Confessional
- Don’t Let It Pass – Junip
- Found/Tonight – Ben Platt and Lin-Manuel Miranda
- The Best – Tina Turner
- Empress – Snow Patrol
P.S. I know there’s a duplicate from last year. I was going to change it, but honestly it’s still earned its spot.